Not only are Fordacal marble powders some of the purest, brightest in the market, but an audit in 2016 confirmed that all products in the Fordacal range are made using 100% recycled material, meeting ISO14021. We invited world leading business auditors, SGS, to assess our marble acquisition and Fordacal production methods.
After trips to the quarries we work with in Northern Italy, carrying out employee interviews and rigorous examination of our marble supply chain, SGS concluded that:
- Fordacal is made using 100% recycled materials that would otherwise go unused and be wasted
- No virgin marble is ever quarried to help produce the Fordacal range
- All marble used in the Fordacal range is sourced from the Carrara region of Northern Italy, where marble blocks are cut for use as dimension stone. As part of this cutting process, large volumes of marble offcuts are produced on a weekly basis.
- These offcuts – though of exactly the same quality as virgin stone – were usually wasted; taken away from the quarry, with no immediate practical use and simply left in storage for months on end. Under Francis Flower’s supervision, these offcuts are now taken to a processing site in Italy where they are washed, sorted and crushed. At all times, the marble is monitored and checked to prevent any contamination.
- This pure, reclaimed Italian marble is then shipped to Avonmouth, before being transported to our Gurney Slade site and milled in our specialist facilities to create the Fordacal range.